Monday, May 26, 2014

Nospresso 'Espresso' and Irish Cream Mini Cupcakes

 
Welcome! Are you wondering about the name "nospresso"? Well, I don't drink coffee so anytime I am wanting that espresso aroma (or when it calls for it in a recipe) I reach for this wonderful drink mix called Pero. It doesn't contain any coffee whatsoever but it's as close to the real thing as you can get and boy is it GOOD! I even fools avid coffee drinkers so I would say that's pretty darn impressive. If you do drink coffee though feel free to use some Starbucks VIAs, or other espresso powder.

Anyway, I can't believe I haven't posted any mini cupcakes yet! They are the dessert that won't make you feel guilty no matter how strict your diet may be... unless you eat forty of them and then well, I think it's safe to assume that you have fallen off the diet wagon (no worries, you can join the non-dieters club with me).

These are super simple and very yummy!!! Just take your favorite chocolate cake recipe (these are my go to chocolate and vanilla recipes) and sift 4 tbsp of Pero and 2 extra tbsp sugar in with the dry ingredients, then swap out all the extract for Irish Cream flavoring, then mix and bake as directed. Since I made minis, they only took about 11 minutes to bake, so keep that in mind if you want to do a cake, cupcakes or mini cupcakes your baking time will vary. 

For the frosting I used my favorite basic crusting buttercream recipe (found here) and added 3 tbsp Pero sifted in with the powdered sugar and then I swapped the extracts for 1 1/2 tsp Irish Cream flavoring. It takes a little while for the Pero to blend into the buttercream after you have mixed it so if you need to serve these right away I would recommend pre-mixing the Pero with 1 tbsp boiling water (taken out of the total liquid amount) and let it cool before adding it to the butter and sugar mixture. Do not over mix your buttercream.

If you want to add any sort of sprinkles they will need to be added to each cupcake right after you swirl on the frosting if you are using a "crusting" recipe. As you might be able to see, my sprinkles didn't adhere very well since I didn't follow my own advice (add scolding and finger pointing here)

Have you tried any other coffee alternatives? Were they any good? Hopefully you can pop into your kitchen, whip these bad boys up and let me know what you think. Thanks for stopping by!

-Pretties and Pastries

No comments:

Post a Comment